Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hello 2014!

Of course, 20 years ago, New Year's Resolutions were important to me.  I'd think about the things I'd like to give up, begin and resolve in my life.  The one I remember most was health and fitness.  I sense I wasn't alone with the hope that I'd start a workout routine and continue for the rest of my life.  The first year I was successful for one month and the following year I made it through a few months.  Each time, Spring would come and I'd realize that my New Year's Resolutions were long gone.  At the time, I'd get a bit upset with myself for not completing or continuing with the plan.  Looking back, I realize that I was just practicing and building new routines.  Each time I went back to creating a fitness routine, I was able to carry it for a longer time.

About 10 years ago, I shifted from making resolutions to setting intentions.  This must have been around the time Oprah was talking about integrity and intentions.  At least she gave my first introduction to these concepts.  Setting intentions gave me more flexibility and patients with myself.  It felt a bit less forceful.  I put less pressure on myself to be perfect with the intentions I set but that didn't help me feel less upset with myself when things fell apart.

A couple of years ago, I stopped writing down any resolutions or intentions.  I just took a short time to think about how I wanted to continue living and how I imagined living a better life.  I consciously took what I liked from the past and added some new options to try out and maybe they'd bring me joy too.

I've had a transformational year, personally.  My health has been a huge challenge and declining for years.  2013 was the first year since 2002, I've felt as though my health was improving.  I feel more accepting of myself and my abilities.  I no longer feel that I need to do everything and try everything and go, go, go.  The guilt of staying still for more than an hour has diminished.  I had some help with that since I was unable to walk for days at a time.  What a gift!  I was forced to stop everything in order to weed out the most important things to do.  That area of growth extends out to people too.  I no longer feel I have something to prove…to anyone.

As I look forward to 2014, I notice a good and peaceful feeling inside.  According to numerology, it'll be a lucky year and I feel it'll be a year full of gifts.  Whether they come disguised as challenges or celebrations, this will be one of the best years ever!

These are the things I'm looking forward to for 2014;

* Using my energy in the most gratifying areas
* A visit to see my wonderful 97 year old grandfather in Fl
* Working with Dr. Bier on the next levels of my healing
* Friday game nights with my family
* Growing in my marriage
* Cultivating new and old friendships
* Smelling the flowers and grass and trees and herbs and…
* Volunteering often
* Watching, in wonder, as my children transition to High School
* Learning more about how I can be a better global citizen
* Live joy, give joy, teach joy, cultivate joy

I wish each and every one of you a Joyous New Year!  Happy 2014!

Thank you for reading, forwarding and following!!!
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment