Saturday, October 5, 2013

How Do I Contribute?

A huge question that I searched to find an answer to was, how do I contribute now that I have physical challenges.  I'm sure everyone can relate to this question on some level.  Even if you don't have a chronic illness, you've had the flu or broken a bone or maybe even allergies.  These things force you to shift from how you were in the world to contributing in another way.  It isn't easy to be a productive citizen then find yourself in bed for a few days...or more.  Many of us have even been taught to 'tough it out'.  I know that when I was in the work force, I had to be on my death bed with sickness before I would dare call into work.  Even if I had accumulated three months worth of sick days, my boss would always make me feel as though I was either faking it or taking advantage.

There are so many emotions that come up when we are derailed and laying in bed.  There's the guilt of feeling as though you must complete something.  There is the feeling of not having time to be sick. In reality, we probably get sick because we didn't take the time to care for ourselves in the first place.  Then there's the feeling of letting people down because they were relying on us.

Are you relating to any of this?

Now lets look at those of us with chronic illness.  We find ourselves on a downward spiral.  Metaphorically, we find ourselves with a cold that takes us away from our regular work and contribution in the world.  We are so struck with conflict within, that once we get use to the feeling of being sick all the time, we convince ourselves that we can still function with a bit of a cold.  It progresses to the flu that hangs around for a month then two and we begin to panic that we'll never recover from the flu.  As much as 'toughing it out' is ingrained in us, there's only so much push through the body can physically do before it collapses.  If we collapse, how and what can we possibly contribute to the world?  On a more basic level, how can I possibly support my family financially if I have the flu with no clear cure?

Our world really puts a great deal of pressure on us to make the money to pay for all the, so called, necessities to function in the world.  My experience is that we literally buy into people convincing us that we need things.  We don't need all that.  What we need is our health and to be pro-active about maintaining it.  We need clean food, clean water and shelter.  We need each other.

It is my belief that each and every one of us, no matter what our physical, mental or spiritual status is, has something positive to contribute.  It may be difficult to peel ourselves away from the expectations our society has taught us over our lifetime, but it's crucial to look beyond those misguided, possibly, well intended beliefs.  We must listen to our own voice!  It's the only way to uncover what it is that each of us is called to contribute.  I've heard many times that each of us has a gift to contribute to a thriving world as unique as our fingerprints.  No one can tell you what your gift is.  It is yours to open, discover and share.

Laying here in bed day after day, with physical discontent, I share with you words and concepts that I'm called to write down.  I offer these posts, publicly because they are my inner most journey that may just touch one life.  I have no expectation of anything in return.  Sharing my insights, intuitions, fears, hopes and dreams brings me joy!  This is my gift and my contribution for today.

Thank you for reading, forwarding and following!!!
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment