Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Are We Really Saving Daylight?

Here in North America, we are closing in on, what we call, Daylight Saving Time.  According to some very brief research, online, I learned that we began to change our clocks in order to save on resources during WWII.  If you're interested in more detailed history click here.  That was a long time ago, so why do we still observe DST?  It has been revised throughout the years, from year round to just Spring and Fall.  The Government seems to feel it still has some benefits.  I question their findings.

Each time we tinker with our clocks, we either lose or gain an hour of sleep.  If we didn't mess with the clocks, our natural adjustment to the shorter days would be gradual and easier.  Wouldn't you think?  It's the natural state of things.  My experience, living in New England all my life, is that it is a bit of a shock to the system to lose an hour of sleep.  We are conditioned to think that this is all to help us with the darker and colder winter months.  In actuality, we aren't really creating more sun or giving ourselves more or less time in the standard 24 hours in a day.


I don't see a reason to continue with Daylight Saving Time.  It adds stress to our lives and it really doesn't benefit us.  It also creates a more complicated existence in a world where there are multiple different time zones and some of us have to mess with our standard of time on top as well.

Anyone who has relatives, business associates or friends in another part of the world, must try to figure out what time it is where they live.  If a group of people from all over the world are trying to connect, there are even more numbers to fiddle with.  I just want to hang with my friends!  I don't want to do math too!

I choose to create simplicity in my life.  I think I'm going to set all my clocks to World Time and when others ask me where I live I'll tell them, Earth.  It may be an adjustment, at first, to learn how to schedule appointments in town, but I'll only have one adjustment moving forward.  Everyone else, who lives by DST, will have two adjustments, every year until something changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment