Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Healing Through Music

I was about 20 years old when I created my first 'Healing Tape'.  Oh, maybe that just dated me :)  Since then, I've made 4 others.  The interesting thing is that I can't remember lyrics for the life of me.  My kids were teasing me because we had a sing-along during our last long car ride and I didn't participate.  And they were mostly 80's songs, the songs I would know best.  My 13 year olds know all the words to the Queen songs, Journey and Tina Turner.  What I've learned over the years, is that lyrics touch my heart but don't stick in my head. When I'm working on a new compulation, I often have to ask my husband or kids about song titles.  It's like one of those board games where I say something like, "The chorus says something about a flame about a woman and she's kind-of like me.  She can be grounded and spiritual at the same time."  I usually get some strange looks, a few guesses then my husband will say, "Are you talking about the Alicia Keys song, This Girl is on Fire?"  "Yup!  That's the one. I knew you'd know what I was talking about."  I have a few close friends who are very good at that game.  They must have a good sense of how my brain works.  As you may have already guessed, creating these healing cd's takes some time.  I have sticky notes in my car, in my room and all over the house of songs I hear and like, with the intention that I'm going to include them in my next cd.

I tend to enjoy almost all genres of music. I can remember two of the songs on the first healing tape I made; High Hopes by Frank Sinatra and Greatest Gift of All by Whitney Houston.  What is important to a song that makes it onto my cd is that is makes me feel good, I enjoy the melody and the lyrics are uplifting.  I use the songs as affirmations during exercise, time to myself, or very challenging times.  They are great reminders that there is more to life than deflecting what life throws at me with my Wonder Woman bracelets.  I find great encouragement in the messages many songs carry and because I don't remember lyrics, I often listen to a cd I made as if it's the first time I've heard it.  This creates another aspect of living in the moment and enjoying the wonder of the world.

I think everyone experiences healing through music, but it's different music for each person.  Of course there will be overlap, but my cd's may not be the most uplifting to the next person.  Everyone has the opportunity to discover what healing sound or music, lyrics or instrumental lifts their heart.  If lyrics are what work, its important that we be mindful of the message they are sending.  Just like affirmations, we want to move toward becoming who we're truly meant to be in a peaceful world.

Recently my Mom mentioned that I use to walk around the house singing, High Hopes by Frank Sinatra.  This was when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.  I don't remember this, but when I heard the story, it brought tears to my eyes.  That time period in my life was very traumatic.  From age three to age nine, I was abused by a distant relative.  It was a secret I kept for many years, but in the midst of that painful time, I hung onto a song that talks about a little ant who thought he could move a rubber tree plant.  He had High Hopes and so did I.  My Mom reminded me of how strong I was even back then, when I was so young and alone with this horrible secret.  The fact that I chose that song, years later, without realizing that it was one of the things that kept me afloat, reinforces my belief and trust in Spirit.  My life is proof that there is something or someone guiding me.  If I had to rely on my memory or my physical abilities, I'd have a very different life today.

I've posted some of the songs that inspire me on my blog, to the right.  Just click on the link if you'd like to listen.  Enjoy and I hope you're uplifted by the songs as much as I am.

By the way, the first Healing Tape I made was created for a very specific reason.  It prepared me to drive two hours to confront the person who abused me as a young child.  The music gave me the strength and courage to begin healing that young 'hopeful' child.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment